Showing JESUS First Amid COVID-19: FREEDOM IN CHRIST
Passage: Colossians 2:11–2:13
Foothill Bible Church May 17, 2020
JESUS First Amid Covid-19 FREEDOM IN CHRIST
The key thought of this section is, “you are complete in Him” (2:10). This morning, we’ll learn how Paul delineated the reasons why we are complete in Christ. These verses contain some of the most intricate reasoning in the Bible.
1A. OUR COMPLETE IDENTIFICATION WITH CHRIST (2:11-12)
Two subjects are discussed in today’s verses.
2. Baptism Two words will help you understand the significance of each subject
1B. Spiritual Circumcision, verse 11.
• Literal circumcision was a physical sign given to God’s people in the Old Testament of His covenant promise to them (Genesis 17:1-13)
• Paul connected the sign with the Christian’s identification with Christ and the promises found in Him.
2B. Spiritual Baptism, verse 12.
• Literal baptism first occurred with John the Baptist. Water baptism was a sign of repentance and faith,
• Paul connected the sign of baptism with the Christian’s identification with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
2A. OUR COMPLETE IDENTITY IN CHRIST (2:13)
1B. We are alive in Christ, verse 13a.
• We were spiritually dead and are now spiritually alive.
2B. We are forgiven in Christ, verse 13b.
3B. We are forgiving in Christ (Luke 7:44-47)
• Complete Salvation
• Complete Forgiveness
• Complete Victory