The Test of True Religion, Part 1
Passage: James 1:26–1:27
What is to be my response when I encounter trials of various kinds?
- I am to have an upward focus by staying close to God, asking God for wisdom, remaining dependent upon and humble before the Lord, and not giving in to temptation. This is equivalent to loving the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
- I am to have an outward focus. This is equivalent to loving your neighbor as yourself. Your neighbor is identified as orphans and widows.
1A. True religion has a controlled tongue (1:26; 3:1-12; Matthew 12:34-37)
2A. True religion has a compassionate heart (1:27b; Psalm 68:5, 146:9; Matthew 25:40; Luke 7:16)
3A. True religion has a clean life (1:27b)
- Do you have a pure and undefiled religion?
- Are you bridling your tongue?
- Are you visiting the orphans and widows?
- Are you keeping yourself unspotted from the world?