Humility and Money, Part 2
Passage: James 5:1–5:6
The letter of James presents truths concerning practical Christian living. James points us to two key words when it comes to practically living the Christian life:
- Faith – Trusting God
- Humility – Dependence upon God
Faith and humility are to woven into every area of life … including money.
1A. THE COMING MISERY OF THE RICH (5:1-3a)
1B. Who are the rich?
2B. What are the rich to do?
3B. What will happen to the rich?
4B. Why will this happen to the rich?
2A. THE CURRENT MINDSET OF THE RICH (5:3b-4a)
1B. Store up treasures (Matthew 6:19-21)
2B. Steal from the laborers
3A. THE CAUTIOUS MESSAGE TO THE RICH (54b-6)
1B. God sees and hears
1C. The cries of Christians
2C. The choice of the Unbeliever
2B. God knows and acts
1C. God’s Perspective
2C. God’s Patience
This must have been surprising to the original recipients, yet it demonstrates God’s care for His people. This warning to these rich, unbelieving landowners was intended to comfort and protect these Christians. James speaks to the unbeliever for the benefit of the believer.
- To comfort the Christian (Exodus 3:7; Romans 12:14,17-21)
- To protect the Christian: Money is dangerous because the heart is deceitful and the love of money is deadly.
- Cultivate financial freedom (Get out of debt)
- Develop a budget (This includes living within your means, giving to the church and giving to the needy)
- Pursue contentment (Find your satisfaction in Christ)
- Cultivate gratitude (Thank God for all that He has given you)
- Live generously (Live open handed)